This is only half of it.

via Instagram

Sometimes my job is odd. I’ve been thinking a lot about the value of things. We have a car here that originally retailed for over $100,000 in 2006. This is one of it’s fuse panels, with which our techs are probably going to get to know more intimately soon. We are also going to have a hard time selling this car for $16,000.

It baffles me that someone can spend the cash to buy a vehicle for as much as a modest home, and let it deteriorate to the point of near worthlessness in less than ten years.

But mostly, I found this panel while looking for the navigation system DVD drive, and it looked like Xmas lights, so I took a picture.


Although I like the way this one looks a bit more, the picture didn’t turn out as well. It’s dark back there.

Hector holdin’ it down.

via Instagram

It’s amazing sometimes what you find in trade in cars.

Hector is a little soapstone hippo that one of the lot guys found in a Ford Ranger that was traded in. Bouncing around the cab with the jumper cables, old coffee cups, and a DustBuster. I oiled out some of the worse rash on his back, and re-levelled his base, but I’ve avoided “fixing” a lot of chips and nicks.

Kind of strange, this little guy. Someone took the time to carve a hippo out of soapstone, not really traditional subject matter. I’m assuming somebody bought this at some point, and I’m guessing it was a gift. Along the lines of “so and so really likes hippos, they’d love this thing”. How it gets from the artist who was probably pretty proud of their work, to sliding around the back of a truck, to being one of the things not worth picking out of the pile of trash when the truck is traded in is an odd journey.

Also, the parts manager tried to kidnap him, but I managed to liberate Hector and return him to his rightful place, keeping papers from flying around my windowless office.

Hand painted signs are pretty great.

via Instagram

There is a secret parking lot on the roof of the strip mall across the street. It used to be super fun in the mornings, trying to walk by the homeless dude on the stairs back to ground level without waking him.

The dealership started renting the lot, and installed security doors and a gate, so there is now fewer people living on the stairs.

I’m guessing this sign has been in place since it was constructed, all the other signs are modern reflective printed boring signs. Because this sign is on the north wall, there is limited human traffic, and it has been less fucked with.

If I’m ever rich and famous enough to require a sign, you can count on me finding a sign painter to make it. Sure, they don’t last long and are invisible at night, but you only need to read a sign once. You may have to look at it for years. I’d rather look at something nice instead of being reminded that someone may steal my shit.

Can’t leave. Fire truck. Guess I’ll have more coffee.

via Instagram

This is the first picture I’ve posted in a while. I’ve decided to take a noteworthy snapshot every day this coming year, and figured I’d start early, to try and actually follow through with it.

I’ve had problems with daily schedules. Working random hours for ten years or so will do that to a person. Now that I’ve got a steady nine-to-five type gig, the nine part (and the five as well) has been quite an adjustment. It’s more like a 9:10 to 6:45. So it’s kind of fitting that my first “scheduled” picture is of my schedule being screwed up. Leaving for work in the morning to find myself boxed in by a fire truck.

As far as I know there was no fire. At least not at my house.


it’s been 2 years since I’ve done anything here, but the date link looks cool.

Maintenance on the RC


Got a few hours of no wife and kids, so I switched up the gear ratio of my TT-01. I’m running an 8.5 turn Viper motor and VTX10 ESC with a 2s lipo, and was running a 28/55 gear set for a final drive. It thermal shutdown when I went on long straits, and was impossible to control, so I put it back to the stock 19/61 for a 8.35 final drive, threw some heat sinks on the motor and ESC, and it got better. But boring, super slow. Now I put it to 23/58 to split the difference at 6.56, but it,s 30c outside now, so I’m charging my batteries, and I’ll see how she runs this evening. Also, the WordPress app for the iPhone likes to keep half the text behind the keyboard, so I’m typing blind. We’ll see how this post looks.



So I’m trying to make some electronic music with my friend Mike. He has sat me in front of his Korg Electribe ESX-1. What a cool machine. It’ll be even cooler when I know how it works.

iPhone and wordpress

I’m trying to blog some more, since I’m loosing track of everything I do. I grabbed the wordpress iPhone app to help with this. However, typing on this little keyboard kinda sucks. We’ll see how this goes.

Here are some Ferraris.